Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Virtual Tour of My House



I uploaded a virtual tour of the house where I am staying in Boharatar. This has been an idea of mine for a long time, because I really enjoy living in a traditional Nepali home and I wanted to show people what it's like. My family members tell me that they want to live in a modern house, which means concrete and steel instead of brick and mud. I am told that the old houses keep warm in the winter and cold in the summer, but the new houses are always cold. It is true that they are remarkably warm considering that there is no heating other than the fireplace downstairs. But the new houses are more desirable, especially for the mother of this household, because they do not have mud floors and are much, much easier to clean.

Speaking of family members, there are also some interviews with members of my adopted family here. Forgive my translation errors in the subtitles. Also, I'm pretty sure that water is drawn from a tank and not a well, as the water is piped in by the city, and the two wash areas are not disconnected from the house so much as they are separated by a barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment